How to Sew a Lined Backpack Video Tutorial + pdf
When it comes to lining a bag, I do what I can to get away with it. Laziness drives me into thinking up new ways to do stuffs. Laziness is the mother of creativity. Said, umm … Yoda ?
In the free video tutorial below , you will learn :
- how to sew a fully lined backpack by using the French seams method.
- how to sew a front strap that acts as a handle, incorporates a front pocket, and also reinforces the bag’s bottom before turning into an adjustable strap holder !
- how to sew criss cross bag strap in the style of Fjallraven Kanken classic school pack. Because the back straps are just so clever, out-of-the-box , worth learning !
- how to install double zippers heads and using zippers by the yard.
- and how to sew pockets. Lots of them.
This backpack has many pattern pieces, but if you look at the measurements it is really easy to cut. The bag top, sides, and side pockets are of the same width, so just cut out a long strip of that width and chop them into pieces. The bag’s front, bottom, and back are all in one piece. Simple, right ?
I also created a pdf download option. It’s like a blueprint with all the measurements and instructions at a tiny fee. This will help cover some of the cost in creating the tutorials. I was looking into Patreon ( membership subscription site ) , but I like it simple. You get to choose which project you want to support. Also, you can make the bag without downloading anything, it’s fine , I’m all for free learning !
Here’s a little preview. It’s a 10 page pdf, in Japanese sewing instruction style !
And now onto the sewing notes ! If you have any questions, please leave them in the comment below !
- This backpack is made with 12 oz cotton canvas , lining is a thin polyester fabric in white. Finished size is about 33 cm x 25.5 cm with a bag depth of 9 cm. The front pocket is large enough to fit A5 size notebooks ; side pockets: pens, glasses, cellphones.
- There is a 2 cm seam allowance included in the pattern. When sewing the French seams, switch to the zipper foot and go slowly as some areas have several layers. Trim off corners of pockets to make the seams less bulky.
- When sewing the straps, start sewing 5 cm distance from the top. Since we will have to flip the bag inside out , we don’t want the straps to be in the way. You can use a wider strap, just leave enough space from the sides so that the straps won’t get in the way when you finish the seams.
- I use zippers bought by the yard and find matching color zipper heads. The size should be #5 or above for making backpacks. #5 means the zipper teeth when zipped up measures 5 mm. Also make sure your zipper heads are the same size. I did some research on Amazon ( affiliates links ) and found these. You can use use metal zippers, color zippers, or fancy zipper heads to customize your bag :
- When installing the zipper heads, make sure you made a clean cut on the zipper tape. Sometimes you need to pull them out if there are bulges when zipped.
- Use the zipper foot to sew the stitch line that locks the 2 D-rings in place. Stitch as near as possible to the base.
I have come home here.
welcome ! welcome ! 🙂
why do you say its free when you have to pay…
Is this pattern still available? I’ve been looking for s pattern like this. But it seems kind of long, can I make the body shorter?
Hello Vicky ! Yes, this pattern is available. If you prefer a shorter bag, you can shorten the main body piece by twice that amount . For example, if you want it to be 3 cm shorter, you take away 6 cm from the main body piece , and 3cm from the side panels. I would recommend building a paper pattern first since the alterations will affect other areas , like pocket depth, strap length.
Pingback: How to sew a Lined Backpack – Do it YourSelf
Pingback: When it comes to lining a bag, I do what I can to get away with it. Laziness dri… – Perfect Girl life style fashion
I would like to buy the book, I’m from Brazil, how do I have to do?
Has she translated?
Hello there ! The instructions are in a PDF file which I will email to you once I get notification from PayPal. Just press on the yellow ” Buy Now ” button to make the payment via PayPal. Thank you for your support 🙂
hi, I purchased this pattern today. When and how will I receive pattern
Thanks for the purchase ! It should be in the same email used for the payment.
I purchased the pattern hours ago, how long does it take for the pattern to be emailed? Thanks
Thanks for the purchase ! I email them once I see the order so there may be a delay due to time zone differences 🙂 However if you haven’t received it yet, please do contact me and I will resend it. Thank you once again for supporting my channel !
I just purchased your backpack pattern, is there a way you could possibly have this converted into inches? I’m stumped with metric measurements.
Hi Sarah !
Hi Sarah ! I totally understand what you are talking about as I get that way too with inches amd yard 🙂 As the bag was design using metrics, it’s best to draft it out in that unit. You can download a metrics ruler ( https://www.printablerulers.net/ ) It will help greatly as a guide in measuring. Thank you so much for your support !
Hi Saltymom, I was hoping to use the same zippers you use on your video. Could you please give us a link to buy them? I noticed you mentioned affiliates links but couldn’t find any.
Thanks Alberto ! Any #5 zippers will do for this project. I found 2 shops on Etsy that have quite a variety : MarieAngele ( https://tidd.ly/365RuJF ) and My Handmade Space ( https://tidd.ly/3cBjjur ) Thank you and Happy Sewing !
Hi! I just purchased the pattern for the backpack but I didn’t receive the pdf yet, what should i do?
Hey, I emailed it just now, sorry for the wait 🙂
Thank you very much! I m looking forward to try it!💖
Thank you for your support ! Happy Sewing ! 😊
Hi I just purchased pattern! it looks great. I have question about bag zipper.. I live in Canada, I was looking for it today, not many place has it and I only found bag zipper 55cm not 60cm, Pattern called zipper part is 53cm and snap off exceed part. Therefore, is it okay to use 55cm bag zipper??
Hello Yumi ! It is totally fine to use the 55 cm bag zipper. The longer length makes sewing the zipper on a bit easier. Thanks for supporting my website 🙂
Thank you for replying! I started sewing the bag, I have another question. Front strap, when I put D-rings, how long should I fold to sew to bag front??( you know what I mean?) Neither video or pattern specified… is it 14cm from D-rings?
Hey Yumi 🙂 Yes, it’s 14 cm ( 14 cm goes under the D-rings )
What a nice backpack. I’d love to get creative soon!
I’m wondering when I’ll receive the pattern in my mail since I paid for the pattern yesterday… could you help me out?
Hello there ! Thank you so much for supporting my work ! I checked on PayPal and Ko-fi but there were no notifications of purchase. The digital patterns on Ko-fi are instant downloads. Once the checkout is complete, they can be downloaded instantly. I am not sure what happened. Did you get a transaction ID from PayPal? Please send it to my email ( firstname.lastname@example.org ) and I will check with PayPal.
I am interested in making a backpack that fits into airline “personal item” dimensions. 45cmx35x30. Would your design still work if I increase my dimensions to closer to the airline ones?